Different Dog Breed Sizes
When it comes to dog breed sizes, there is a huge diversity. The largest dogs weigh more than 200 pounds/90 kilograms while the smaller ones weigh around 5 pounds/2 kilograms and below. This means that almost everyone can find a dog size that fits their lifestyle or personality. Whether you want a dog to keep you company or one to sit on your lap, here are some of the sizes to choose.
– Smallest breeds (also named “Toy”) weighing up to 12 pounds/5,5 kilograms. This includes dogs like Chihuahua, Papillon, Affenpinscher, Russian Toy Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier and Australian Terrier.
– Small breeds weigh around 12 to 25 pounds/5,5-11 kilograms. Dogs in this category include Miniature Poodle, Boston Terrier, American Cocker Spaniel, Pug, Miniature Schnauzer and Beagle
– Medium: This category of dogs weighs approximately 25 to 50 pounds/11 kg-23 kilograms. Some of them include Miniature Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Border Collie, American Water Spaniel, Australian Cattle Dog, and also French Bulldog.
– Large: Large dogs weigh around 50 to 100 pounds/ 23-45 kilograms. In this category, you will find dogs like the Labrador Retriever, English Foxhound, Afghan Hound, English Setter, American Staffordshire Terrier and American Foxhound.
Extra Large Breeds
– Extra large dogs weigh more than 100 pounds/ 45 kilograms. These are giant dog breeds represented by Akbash dog, Komondor, Bernese mountain dog, Irish wolfhound, Rottweiler, Great Dane and Great Pyrenees among others.